Monday, May 9, 2016

Renovation In Progress

Hello and welcome to another week! Today’s post is a quick progress report on the renovation happening in the Las Vegas flip house. The demo is well under way, I realize these aren’t the most exciting pictures to but to me I love to see the progress. This is a corner of the kitchen space before we removed the 35 year old cabinets two weeks ago.

 kitchen before demo

Now the space is hardly recognizable since everything is gone except the old flooring. I’m reconfiguring the cabinet plan in this space and I have a lot of really great design ideas I’ll be working into this remodel. I’ll have more to share on that this summer.

 kitchen demo

With this home we’ve retextured the walls to give them a smooth finish like we did with the last one. Fresh and flat, the new texture makes the walls of this 35+ year old home feel brand new on the inside and is a great selling point. We have a great drywall guy who we love to work with.

Here’s a shot of the den before we had all the popcorn ceilings removed and the walls retextured. We will be painting next and before the new flooring goes in. The bedrooms will all get new fixtures or ceiling fans and we’re also replacing the 35+ year old windows for more energy efficient ones.

 den popcorn

Instead of tile like we did in the last house, we’re installing luxury vinyl plank flooring this time. I love the tile we used in the first house but I want to try out a different product in this home, one that will look great, take a beating, and look like hardwood. There’s a pool in the backyard and with it often comes wet feet. :) I love the fact that this product is 100% waterproof so it can be used in the kitchen too!

I love the look of consistent flooring throughout a home especially in community spaces so I’ll be using this throughout. I’m looking specifically at an Armstrong product in medium brown and slightly gray tones. I’ve narrowed it down to a favorite, the installation starts in a few weeks so I’ll have more to report on that in June.

 armstrong luxury vinyl plank

 

Here is the existing fireplace. It’s not bad, it’s just so blah to me so I’m thinking first to get rid of the hearth that projects into the room. I much prefer to have the mantel go straight down to the floor. And of course the fireplace surround needs new tile and a new mantel.

 liv room fireplace

I have several different ideas for this fireplace, but since it’s a flip I’m not going to use a tile that’s too busy. As much as I love the cement tile we used on this fireplace makeover, something more subtle is better in this circumstance since I need to appeal to a wide market of buyers. I’ll share more ideas soon once I narrow them down.

One final home improvement project completed earlier this year on the first house was adding an epoxy floor coating to the garage floor. Matt did it himself over the course of two days and the floor looks so good and feels so clean you could eat off of it! We didn’t add the “decorative” speckles that come with the kit since they’re not my jam, but I do love the look and feel of the smooth and clean epoxied garage floor. It changes the look and feel of the floor the garage so much now it feels like a bonus room where kids can play games, etc. Love this product!

 garage epoxy kit

We are always trying to stay conscious of budget as we are with any renovation. I found this handy graphic which identifies the best renovations for resale. New windows, great flooring, new kitchens and bathrooms, nice landscaping …. we’re definitely focused on those key improvements!

 best renovations for resale

source

 

The real fun begins when all the new cabinets and pretty finishes get installed. More updates to come this summer!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment