Wednesday, March 9, 2016

What’s the Best Compliment You’ve Ever Received?

me

A few weeks ago, Steve and I were lying in bed talking about the day’s events. He shared some of his frustrations concerning work, mainly the amount of time spent in meetings versus actually working. I shared my frustrations regarding the kids, mainly the amount of time spent cleaning up after them, keeping attitudes in check and refereeing bickering matches.

That’s when Steve turned to me and said, “I love that our kids love to read. I love that they have big imaginations and ask hard questions. I love that they’re so unique. You know that’s because of you, right?”

me & my minions

My eyes welled up. I wasn’t expecting his words and I surely wasn’t expecting them to affect me so deeply. He had just given me the best compliment. Ever. When people compliment me on superficial things like my house, my hair or even my kids’ behavior in public, it definitely puts a pep in my step but this was different – especially coming from someone whose opinion I value greatly. I will carry it with me forever.

Now I just need to master the act of accepting compliments. I tend to be self-depecating which isn’t becoming at all.

What’s the greatest compliment you’ve ever received? How do you respond to compliments? I’d love to hear your stories.

images: Dana Miller for House*Tweaking


Article Source: What’s the Best Compliment You’ve Ever Received?

No comments:

Post a Comment