Monday, December 7, 2015

Simple Eucalyptus Wreath

I’m not into elaborate holiday decor this year, for me simpler is better: natural evergreens with a bit of sparkle thrown in. Eucalyptus is having a moment right now, it’s everywhere in magazine and blog photos – funny how a simple floral filler found in bouquets (one many have tossed out when arranging flowers) can become de rigueur. I’m on board with the trend if you can call it that. I used bunches in vases for simple centerpieces last week, and over the weekend made a simple wreath with stems I picked up at my local florist.

I love the smell and the curvy coin sized leaves that grow symmetrically from the host branch. Eucalyptus has several varieties, this one is silver dollar eucalyptus, it has a lovely scent that lasts for weeks. The color is divine, the underside a brighter green, the tops of the leaves a pale green that seems to be lightly dusted with white. Like any floral arrangement, I find the stems more elegant when used alone and clustered together.

simple eucalyptus wreath

Making a eucalyptus wreath is easy peasy, you need a metal wreath form found at any craft store, two large bunches of eucalyptus, ribbon of choice, wire clippers, and floral wire. I consider floral wire an essential tool this time of year – remember this festive focal point ornament garland created with it!

wreath supplies

I attached the eucalyptus three stems at a time around the circle form. Secure the branches with floral wire and twist the wire together, hiding it in the back. In January I’ll clip off the stems so I can reuse the wreath form again someday.

  making wreath

 

 twisted floral wire

I spray painted a few sprigs with gold spray paint for added flair and tied a burlap and gold ribbon to it too.

 gold eucalpytus leaves

 eucalyptus wreath brick wall

In my home it hangs in my dining room hutch adding a pleasant scent to the house.

 euc wreath on hutch

A lighter background shows of the leaves a little better, hence the faux brick wallpaper backdrop :) Eucalyptus is universally beautiful year round, it would make an equally nice spring wreath too.

 diy simple eucalyptus wreath

….

No comments:

Post a Comment