Wednesday, November 11, 2015

“How is the shop going???”

Since launching The Vintage Rug Shop, just about 6 weeks ago, I’ve been asked a lot of questions. I want to share with you the most common questions I’ve been asked, maybe it will help nudge someone into launching their business, or give a little perspective! I’m not a professional (yet) but I’ve gone through the scariest part – actually launching!

the VINTAGE RUG shop // brittanyMakes

“How is the shop going?”

The shop is going great! Beyond great, actually! It’s still very much a baby, but It’s more successful than I imagined it would be, and I’m enjoying every second of it. I spend literally ALL my free time working on it, thinking about it, planning, scheming, shopping, editing, posting, & socializing.  I truly believe this can be big – huge even – if done right. In the past, whenever I’ve had a wild idea, the appeal or drive usually dissipates (as it probably wasn’t a great idea), but with the VR shop, It’s like I’ve found ‘the one’, and my energy is being invested into him.  My optimism is contagious, even my husband is pumped for me, and that’s saying something!

the VINTAGE RUG shop // brittanyMakes

“What have you learned so far?”

I’ve learned so much over these last 6 weeks, well, even more than that honestly, since prepping the shop & launch took about 6 months. I’ve learned the ins and outs of an eCommerce solution, the best method for shipping, how to REALLY clean and care for a vintage rug (don’t do it yourself, people), how to marry customers tastes with my own, how to not be disappointed in returns, how to build relationships with vendors & customers, how to identify rugs (working on this one), how to deal with the whole secret world of ‘wholesale’ (which is still half a mystery, if I’m being honest)… I’ve learned so much, and yet still have so much to learn.

the VINTAGE RUG shop // brittanyMakes

“Is it what you expected?”

I wasn’t sure what to expect in launching an online shop. I’ve never worked in retail before, so it’s not like I could bring forth any knowledge of the ebbs and flows of a retail business. I do, however, know what it takes to run a company, as I’m the Controller of a digital marketing agency. I know how to manage cash flow projections, prepare financial statements and budgets, and focus on positive ROI. Going into the decision to launch the VR shop, my mission was to take my expertise in finance and marry it with my growing obsession of vintage decor (rugs specifically, obvs).  I’ve been successful in my career, but it’s not what brings me joy. I am very much a goal setter, and ever since starting this blog, it’s been my goal to turn my passions into my successes.

I haven’t felt this excited about a project in a long time. I have so many ideas swirling in my head, I wish I had more time to execute! This is a trial for patience, that’s for sure. I am excited for the holidays, and hope I can bring a little bit of joy and energy into people’s homes with my products.

If there’s anything you’re curious about, ask away in the comments! I’m more than happy to share!

LoveB

Share


Article Source: “How is the shop going???”

No comments:

Post a Comment